How to Pop Your Own Popcorn
It may seem mundane for me to write about popping your own popcorn. Popping popcorn is certainly not world changing. However ditching the microwave bags for organic kernels is a refreshing perspective for many. It is world changing to learn to make your own stuff… to learn to be more self-sufficient… to learn to stay away from hidden unhealthy ingredients… and to avoid corrupt corporations. Popping your own popcorn is one of many ways to live for a healthier earth, community, and self!
Here’s how to pop your own delicious and nutritious popcorn!
What you Need:
Medium to large size cooking pot with lid
Medium to large serving bowl
Ingredients: (serving size for 4 people)
1/3 Cup white or yellow organic popcorn kernels
1 Tbsp Coconut oil (preferably unrefined and organic)
Seasoning can be anything you choose. I recommend sea salt, olive oil, nutritional yeast, and dillweed. Be as creative as you want but keep healthy choices in mind.
- Add Coconut oil to the pot, you need enough oil to coat all the kernels during the cooking so they don’t burn.
- Turn stove burner on highest heat setting, you need the high heat to make the popping happen quickly.
- Quickly place 3 kernels in the pot and shake pot around to cover the kernels in oil the whole time. When 1 kernel pops, you know the pot is hot enough to add the rest.
- Immediately add the rest of the kernels to the pot and place the lid on top. Then shake the pot around to make sure the kernels are coated in the oil. It’s important to keep the lid on during the entire popping to keep the heat inside. In about a minute, the kernels should start popping rapidly. (Its more fun to watch if you have a clear glass lid).
- Shake the pot periodically during the popping to make sure the kernels on the bottom are still being coated in oil. All (or most) of the kernels should pop between 2-4 minutes.
- When you hear more than 2 seconds between each POP, immediately take the pot off the burner and pour the popped popcorn into a serving bowl. If you leave it in the pot, it will quickly burn.
- Add seasoning of choice and ENJOY!
Buy your ingredients in the bulk section of your local co-op or grocery store and bring your own reusable containers. –This way there won’t be any packaging to throw away or recycle.
Grow your own herbs to season your popcorn
Buy organic ingredients rather than conventional to lessen your impact on the earth and all the creatures we share our home with.