Plant It Forward
What is plant it forward? Plant-it-forward is a movement to encourage more people to plant in the backyard. Similar to the Ice Bucket Challenge, participants will plant 3 seeds (or plants), then call out three friends on social media to do the same. It doesn’t matter if they are vegetables, sunflowers, flowers, or big trees – be as creative as you wish. The goal: MORE PLANTING!
How to choose your 3 seeds (or plants)
- Do a quick Google search for the best plants to plant in your geographical area.
- Ideally pick seeds or plants that are native (or certainly not invasive).
- If you plant vegetables, make sure to check the recommended planting season on the back of the pack.
- Plant Organic if you can!
- Grow something that you like – this way you will be excited to take care of it and watch it grow!
How to take care of your 3 seeds:
- Choose your container, or sow directly into your designated area outside
- Start with loose, slightly moist soil (if starting indoors, use a good seed starting mix, or make your own mix)
- Plant the seed twice as deep as it is wide (tiny seeds can be sprinkled over the soil)
- Make a hole first, or simply press the seed into the soil
- Cover the seed with soil, and gently pack it down
- Water your seeds immediately (gently)
- Water once daily for 2 weeks and keep soil moist
- Watch them grow!
The Benefits of Gardening – Not only good for the planet, also good for you!
- Vitamin D
- Stress Release
- Improves soil health
- Increases community
- Heart health and reduced stroke risk
- Brain health
- Increased immunity
- Reduced depression